Re: [debian-printing] Packaging of vendor PPD files.

On Sat, Mar 06, 2004 at 18:02 +0100, Martin Albert wrote:
> On Friday 05 March 2004 23:56, Roger Leigh wrote:
> > "Per Olofsson" <pelle@dsv.su.se> writes:
> > > * A meta package, ppd-all, should depend on all PPD collection
> > >   packages.
> >
> > I'd prefer ppd-common or ppd-base (I take "all" imply "everything").
>
> Which seems to be Rogers intention.

Uhm, you mean mine?

> OTOH i don't know why i would want a dep on all pkgs listed neatly one
> after the other with 'dpkg -l ppd-\*'

Because if there's a new ppd package added, it will be installed when
you dist-upgrade. It can also be useful for CDD's and such if they
want to have all printer drivers installed, for example.

> Postscript?

[...]

> In principle we could kick perl and python and have
> eg. /usr/share/postscript/adduser.ps or even init.ps.

Yes, I am aware of that. In any case, I think general Postscript
programs (such as PS-HTTPD) are largely unrelated to PPDs, despite the
fact that they're written in the same language (well, almost). If we
want to place the ppd directory in a subdir, a more logical place
would be /usr/share/printing/ppd, but I still can't think of anything
else to put under /usr/share/printing.

--
Pelle