Re: The stable/testing/unstable branches not a solution ?

Matthew A. Nicholson wrote:
Might I suggest a different approach. Currently a lot of the hold-ups in debian are caused by desktop oriented packages. I think debian should be split into two branches like this:

          unstable
         /        \
        /          \
desktop-testing     testing
       |            |
       |            |
desktop-stable      stable

I would do it differently. What about the following:

unstable base         unstable add-ons
     |                       |
     |                       |
testing base                 |
     |                       |
     |                       |
stable base            stable add-ons

The release would consist of a base system (or server system) with a drastically reduced number of packages. The rest of the packages would be assembled in parallel, going from unstable to stable as soon as they're ready (i.e. not released all at once).

The add-ons would be compiled and assembled for the current stable base release. That would also alleviate a lot of the "outdated" claims of the current system. OpenOffice.org 1.2 or whatever would go into the unstable add-on pool as soon as it is released, compiled and made to fit with the current stable release, and once tested and certified to work (no large bugs filed against it), it would go into stable add-ons, so current stable release users could upgrade their OO.o.

Stable releases could also be done more quickly, since there would be fewer packages making a release.

The server systems that require consistency in their environments would simply use the base system, which would consist of the basic 'server' packages.

--
Joel Konkle-Parker
Webmaster  [Ballsome.com]

E-mail     [jjk3@msstate.edu]