Re: util-linux seems to have /sbin/fsck

On 20040113T193114+0000, Andrew Suffield wrote:
> How do you define "standard"?

The meaning I had in mind is roughly this:

A standard is a document specifying a particular protocol (or other
similar thing) with sufficient detail, produced by implementors of that
protocol in cooperation and endorsed by a neutral body recognized by the
community of users and implementors.  A protocol is standard if there is
a standard for it.

> Here's a common definition (wordnet):
>
>        2: commonly used or supplied; "standard procedure"; "standard
>           car equipment"

I'm sure you knew I did not mean that.

> If you mean "endorsed by the IETF cabal", then no - but why are you
> listening to them? You could equally put "IEEE", "ISO", or "Microsoft"
> in there and it would be about as meaningful.

IETF is the most relevant standardization organization in this context.
ISO is somewhat relevant.  Microsoft is an implementor, not a neutral
body, so it does not qualify.

Now, you could have said what you had to say in two lines.  The rest is
just you venting your frustration; please take that elsewhere.
--
Antti-Juhani Kaijanaho, Debian developer   http://www.iki.fi/gaia/