Re: Top 5 things that aren't in Debian but should be :-)

Wouter Verhelst wrote:

> Have you ever taken a look at Policy 9.4?
>
> If a script doesn't follow what's outlined there, that's a bug.

While this is true. I will have to say that RH and Mandrake make it very
obvious is something has FAILED or not. I think it would be great if Debian
were to look into some more featureful solutions than SYSV type scripts
though. The threaded type startup that was talked about earlier would be
nice. There is an article on IBM developerworks that outlines a way to do
it with make. I think this is somewhat hacky but illustrates to concept.

http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/linux/library/l-boot.html?ca=dgr-lnxw09BootFaster

There is also the problem of knowing whether a script executed successfully
or not.

wt
--
Warren Turkal