Re: Debian Debconf Translation proposal ( again )

Steve Langasek writes:

>> > This proposal does not address this need.  The master version of
>> > the debconf template is still under the package maintainer's
>> > control.
>> > I agree that this is important, but this proposal doesn't provide
>> > any means to enforce a string freeze.

>> Have you actually read the proposal you're talking about ?

> You mean the one that says

>     3. A sort of string freeze is put in place, so that the
>        translators can have a period of time where they can work on
>        the translations without having to duplicate work.

> without explaining how this will be enforced?  This certainly piques
> my curiosity: how ARE you going to enforce a string freeze,

My first thought is: we put it in the policy, let the RM remind people
about it in time, and complain when people don't follow it.

> when everywhere else you've de-emphasized maintainer/translator
> collaboration

A string freeze does not require personal maintainer-translator
collaboration.

> to the point that you won't know that a string has changed until the
> package has been uploaded?

Which is exactly the current situation, except for some maintainers
who inform some translators they have worked with before.

Please also note that in the new proposal, it is not a problem that a
translator is not informed of a string change until after the package
is uploaded, as the uploading of the translations happens separately
from the packages.  The current system requires translations to be
uploaded together with the package, thus causing unnecessary uploads
and rebuilds.

cheers
domi