Re: handling bugs of udev

>>>>> "Nico" == Nico Golde <nico@ngolde.de> writes:

    Nico> this bug:
    Nico> http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=286257

I am not sure what the problem is here, according to the bug report,
the solution was:

cd /etc/udev/rules.d/
ln -s ../cd-aliases.rules .

However, on my system, this symlink was already created for me
(IIRC). Looking at the postinst script, this symlink is always
created(?).

My only problem I had is that I came from devfs, and it come as a
surprise that ide-cd wasn't automatically loaded. Sure, it was easy
for me to fix, and it is pointed out in the documentation too, but if
I was a Linux novice, I might get totally confused.

Also, certain paragraphs from README.Debian, of udev 0.048-2 rather
confused me:

"If you prefer devfs-style names you can switch by removing this link
and creating new links to udev-devfs.rules (devfs-style devices) and
optionally udev-compat.rules (some compatibility symlinks) and
rebooting.  As long as the directory is not empty, the package will
not modify the symlinks contained."

On my system, the closest file I could find was devfs.rules (not
udev-devfs.rules), but there was already a symlink created for me.

Maybe the documentation needs updating...
--
Brian May <bam@debian.org>