Re: Filing bugs with upstream

>   On Mon, Dec 20, 2004 at 08:47:45AM -0800, Thomas Bushnell BSG wrote:
>   > In my opinion, best practice is to file a Debian bug, and rely on the
>   > Debian maintainer to file an upstream bug.  If you do file an upstream
>   > bug, you should verify yourself that the bug exists in the unmodified
>   > upstream sources, not just in the Debian package.  (And here I do mean
>   > "verify", not just "reason about it and think it must".)

Having been a debian maintainer, maintainer of packages not in a
distribution, bug reporter, and patch submitter, my policy is always
to file in both places and to explicitly mention each to the other.
In cases where upstream has a decent bug tracking system, the explicit
reference can include a URL or other specific location for the bug
report.  If it's a package I maintain in debian, I also use
"forwarded" to indicate that the bug has been filed upstream, but I
won't do this on other people's packages.  My feeling is you can't go
wrong filing in multiple places as long as you let everyone know all
the places you've filed, thus minimizing the chance of duplicated
effort, or at least giving everyone who might try to fix it a chance
to see if someone else is already working on it.

--
Jay Berkenbilt <ejb@ql.org>
http://www.ql.org/q/