patch to update-rc.d

Hi Everyone,

This is my first post to debian-devel. A fairly long message, hope it
will be tolerated.

I am currently developing a perl script that lists rc?.d
configuration and you can find it here:

http://www.chara.gsu.edu/~deo/sources/list-rc.d
http://www.chara.gsu.edu/~deo/sources/README

README shows the typical usage and expected output. Also available
is a patch to update-rc.d that includes the functions from the script.

http://www.chara.gsu.edu/~deo/sources/update-rc.d.list.patch

This enhances update-rc.d.pl to have a rc configuration listing
functionality. It is however _not_ emulating Red Hat's chkconfig and is
based on suggestions given in this discussion:

It also lists active services in /etc/inetd.conf and
/etc/xinetd.conf and /etc/xinetd.d. Apart from that it has a option that
will sort a given rc?.d to present the complete execution order within
that runlevel.

The script and the patch is in Perl (since update-rc.d is written in
Perl). I would appreciate any help in improving it. I had sent the first
version of list-rc.d to Miquel but I guess it got lost in his mailbox.

Any suggestions, comments and future directions are welcome. I am not a
official debian developer but would love to become one in future, with
appropriate guidance.

Happy holidays and season's greeting to everyone,
Rajesh Deo.

Example output from patched update-rc.d:

-----------------> New usage message

usage: update-rc.d [-n] [-f] <basename> remove
       update-rc.d [-n] <basename> defaults [NN | sNN kNN]
       update-rc.d [-n] <basename> start|stop NN runlvl [runlvl] [...] .

                -n: not really
                -f: force

       update-rc.d -l <basename>
       update-rc.d --inetd
       update-rc.d --xinetd
       update-rc.d -r <runlevel>

               -l: List rc configuration for <basename>
          --inetd: List active services in /etc/inetd.conf
         --xinetd: List active services in /etc/xinetd.conf and
                   /etc/xinetd.d
               -r: List execution order for <runlevel>
       Notes: Following extraneous files are ignored during rc listing.
                        * In /etc/init.d/: rc, rcS, skeleton, README,
                        * *.dpkg-*
                        * In /etc/xinetd.d/: None

-----------------> Service listing

root@localhost:~# update-rc.d -l anacron
#                             System V Run Levels
# SYSV Service        S    0    1    2    3    4    5    6
anacron               -    -    -   (K11,S89) (K11,S89) (K11,S89) (K11,S89)  -

----------------> Startup order

        root@localhost:~# update-rc.d -r 0
        K01 xdm
        K11 anacron