Re: boot: network configured before PCMCIA loaded

Le Saturday 18 December 2004 à 21:15:51, Thomas Hood a écrit:
> Network initialization happens at /etc/rcS.d/S40networking and this won't
> change any time soon.  See /etc/rcS.d/README.  The only option would be to
> start cardmgr earlier.
>
> Given that PCMCIA cards can be inserted any time, it doesn't matter how
> early cardmgr is started in the boot sequence -- you still need to arrange
> for configuration of the network card to be triggered after insertion (and
> thus well after /etc/rcS.d/S40networking has run).  Unless, of course,
> your PCMCIA cards are welded into your computer.  Another problem is that
> cardmgr is started asynchronously, so starting it prior to
> /etc/rcS.d/S40networking doesn't ensure that the drivers it loads are
> ready when the latter runs.  In my opinion there is no point in starting
> cardmgr any earlier.

On the same topic, the default configuration is:
/etc/rc2.d/S20exim4
/etc/rc2.d/S20pcmcia

So exim4 is started before pcmcia. In my case it is not optimal since
exim4 is (very) slow to start (a ~10s timeout somewhere I think) when
started before pcmcia (and my wireless pcmcia card).

I renamed /etc/rc2.d/S20pcmcia in /etc/rc2.d/S19pcmcia and exim4 starts
faster now during the boot process.

A is my laptop, B is a desktop.
B is used by A as a DNS forwarder and also as the mail smarthost. I don't
know exactly why the exim4 startup on A is slow but starting pcmcia
_before_ exim4 helped.

Starting pcmcia a bit earlier may help (maybe not before
/etc/rcS.d/S40networking).

I don't know if this is important enough to report a wishlist bug
against pcmcia-cs.

Bye,

--
 Dr. Ludovic Rousseau                        Ludovic.Rousseau@free.fr
 -- Normaliser Unix c'est comme pasteuriser le camembert, L.R. --