Re: Linux Core Consortium

On Friday 10 December 2004 06.15, Gunnar Wolf wrote:
> John Goerzen dijo [Thu, Dec 09, 2004 at 09:40:51PM -0600]:

> > we could participate in this organization even if we didn't take
> > their packages?  That is, perhaps we could influence the direction to
> > a more useful one?

> Then we would be non-participants, we would be just bitchers

No, I don't think so.  I think what Bruce and Ian are aiming at is
 - Debian can get influence in LCC, so
 - some things LCC does might actually make sense, so Debian does these
things in the way LCC does.
 - other things will be done in LCC-space, that will not make sense in
Debian, so Debian can still do it in its own way.

What is the benefit? The divergence between LCC and Debian will still be
smaller than when Debian just stays outside. So
 - vendors may offer compatibility to LCC with manageable overhead (Ubuntu,
perhaps?)
 - porting LCC applications to Debian is limited to those small areas where
divergence between LCC and Debian diverge.

I think about things like hardware detection and autoconfiguration, where
there's a lot development right now, and there are a lot of different
solutions.  In many cases, the various solutions are more or less
equivalent and things are done differently mainly because of personal taste
of whoever does the implementation.  Having a voice in how LCC does these
things and doing it the same way in Debian, in these cases, would be a Very
Good Idea(tm), I feel.

-- vbi

--
featured link: http://fortytwo.ch/gpg/intro