Re: binary NMUs and version numbers

On Thu, Dec 09, 2004 at 02:24:33PM +0100, Jeroen van Wolffelaar wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 09, 2004 at 01:13:09PM +0000, Andreas Metzler wrote:
> > It is a payoff, larger diff for less frequent orig.tar.gz uploads. Instead
> > of uploading a 3MB mutt_1.5.6-20040915.orig.tar.gz the mutt maintainers can
> > upload a 400KB mutt_1.5.6-20040915+1.diff.gz when updating to CVS 20040915.
>
> This bandwith consideration is nice, but IMHO in no way is anywhere near
> as important as the property that you can find Debian-specific changes
> in the .diff.gz, and upstream sources in the .orig.tar.gz. It's quite
> difficult to find out what was changed in Debian and what's directly
> from upstream CVS this way. .orig.tar.gz size only matters (marginally)
> for mirrors and developers downloading mutt's sources. As bandwith &
> diskspace is cheap compared to developer time, I think it's much more
> important to keep the upstream/Debian specific separation that is
> intended with .orig.tar.gz/.diff.gz.

I tend to agree for vanilla diff.gz files. A lot of packages are using
patch systems these days, however, that provide alternative means to
distinguish the origins of patches. The mutt package, for instance,
separates them in upstream/patches, debian/patches etc. For my own
packages, I usually add a "CVS" suffix to the patch name and a note to
the comment section. Which should be clear enough for anyone looking at
the package source, and keeps the orig.tar.gz always at a released
upstream version.

Regards,

Daniel.