Re: Finding an improved release process.

* Eduard Bloch

| From my point of view, we could have released Sarge one year after Woody
| with boot-floppies. The only thing needed was a bit more man power from
| the porters. Instead, most of the "core team" and the BFs porters
| stopped to work on it. And without manpower (motivated people), there
| will be no development.

It took us about six months for getting the Potato b-fs working with
Woody, so about a year for getting the installer ready should have
been enough, yes.  Except for the fact that debian-boot goes into a
six month hibernation after a release, or has after both potato and
woody released at least.

However, you are totally rewriting history here.  Debian-installer
development was stopped a year or so before Woody's release. I started
working on d-i fall 2001, roughly nine months before Woody's release.
I had a demo-working d-i at about that time (see my mail to
debian-devel-announce of 2002-07-29).  The first alpha was released
six months later.  As of a little less than half a year ago, RCs
started being made.  So the installer took about two years for a full
rewrite from scratch, compared to about six months hibernation plus
six months of work for fixing up the old installer.  And d-i is way,
way, way better than b-f could ever have become.  (How would you
preseed in b-f, for instance?)

| Well, the outcome of d-i development is good, but not that impressive
| (no GUI, no jumping penguins, confusing partitioner tool). Sometimes
| they have made the same errors we did with BFs, sometimes new things
| have been invented.

You are judging it on GUI, shiny stuff.  Colin and Joey have had a bit
of discussion around this and we will have a GUI.  In a nice way, and
it will rock.  That fixes both the confusing partitioner tool and the
GUI issue.  Jumping penguins?  Well, sure, we should be able to throw
in some of those as well.

                                                                      `. `'
                                                                        `-