Re: ldap - a completely new method for fetching lists of packages?

On Thu, Dec 02, 2004 at 01:56:21PM -0500, sean finney wrote:
> now, if the apt method kept a timestamp of the last successful update,
> it could send as part of the ldap query filter something like
> '(debTimeStamp>$lasttime)'.  this would make keeping debian up to
> date over dialup a much easier experience i imagine.

You'll want to ask the LDAP server for its time.  We can assume that the
server's time will always be correct, while the client might mess it up
sometimes.

> the one major problem with using a method like this is that apt
> is designed with the assumption that it fetches the list of packages
> in the same manner that it fetches the packages themselves.  i think
> this could be worked around, but it's the only real stumbling block
> i see to building an ldap protocol method into apt.

One way you could work around this is by writing a sumb HTTP proxy which
translates information queried from LDAP into Packages.gz, Release.gz,
and Sources.gz.

Granted, APT would have to parse those files over again.  But you
wouldn't be grabbing needless data off the network.

Simon