Re: bad archive handling (was: Re: GNOME 2.8 on ia64 completely hosed?)

On Tue, Nov 30, 2004 at 12:07:30PM +0200, Martin-?ric Racine wrote:

> That is a flaw in the way the archive is handled.  Instead of accepting sources
> _only_ and starting the build for all architectures simultaneously, the archive
> immediately installs whichever architecture was used for the developer's build,
> which puts all other architectures behind, until someone got around signing and
> installing the build for each architecture manually and that sometimes can take
> days, on less popular architectures with fewer Build Masters monitoring the job.

Waiting for every architecture to catch up with each source upload would
mean that the impact of architectures that happen to be behind would be
felt by everyone rather than just by those architectures.  At the minute
problems with the buildd system for an architecture have limited impact
outside of testing.