Re: Ubuntu discussion at planet.debian.org

On Sun, 24 Oct 2004 14:52:17 +0900, Mike Hommey <mh@glandium.org> said:

> On Sun, Oct 24, 2004 at 12:11:51AM -0500, Manoj Srivastava wrote:
> [...]
>> If unstable is not a distribution, what the hell is the point of
>> having all the paraphernalia of unstable around?  The whole point
>> of uploading to unstable is to have people test packages in
>> unstable.

> If people test unstable, then it's unstable we should release, not
> testing. As somebody said in this thread not enough people are
> trying testing, and that's one of our problems in the release cycle.

	World is not binary. As it is, we have people testing both
 unstable and Sarge, giving us two levels at which bugs may be caught
 and fixed. And the only numbers I have seen quoted about usage seem
 to indicate that testing is indeed being run by a whole slew of
 people.

> [...backwards a bit...]
>> In other words, stop all development dead, since experimental is
>> never ever used as a default ditribution by anyone sane.

> Stop all development ? See the situation for gnome 2.8. It is in
> experimental. It is compiled for several architectures, and is maybe
> soon ready to be put in unstable. Do you really call that stopping
> all development ?

	Anecdotal evidence is not the singular for data. I am speaking
 about past experience, where yes, by and large, development was
 indeed stopped.  Obviously, there are exceptions to any rule.

>> This is incorrect, t-p-u is indeed supported by buildds -- though
>> this paragraph seems to be more like a rant than anything else.

> Okay, it's a month old, but there hasn't been any since.
> http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-announce/2004/09/msg00005.html
> "We are also still missing official autobuilders for
> testing-proposed-updates on alpha and mips.  All other architectures
> appear to be keeping up with t-p-u uploads."

	Missing a buildd on an arch or too is a far cry from t-p-u
 being unsupported.

> Take it as a rant if you want, but I'm just noticing.

	Frankly, I am not seeing this as a big pain in the butt. It is
 a deficiency in support for some of the supported architectures, yes.

	manoj
--
Do you think your mother and I should have lived comfortably so long
together if ever we had been married?