Re: Right Way to make a configuration package

> So, my conclusion is that debconf is not particularly well suited to
> integrating several otherwise-unrelated packages and I am unsure whether
> working around the problem, or helping to improve debconf, or doing it
> some other way entirely is the better approach... thoughts?

Debconf wasn't designed to serve the purpose to which you are trying to
put it.  "Debconf is not a registry."

Suppose you have packages x and y with configuration files xconf and
yconf.  Your package z should contain a program that reads xconf and yconf
and writes them out again with new values.  If x and y have
configuration utilities xcfg and ycfg then z should insofar as possible
use xcfg and ycfg to make changes to x's and y's configurations.

--
Thomas Hood