Re: python-apt: how to get ShortDesc and LongDesc

Free Ekanayaka wrote:

would someone write me a sample code on how to get the ShortDesc and LongDesc records from the PkgRecords class?

I think it should start with something like:

cache = apt_pkg.GetCache() records = apt_pkg.GetPkgRecords(cache) package = cache['my_pkg']

Since there are no API-docs for python-apt, there's only one
option: use the source :)

============================8<==========================
import apt_pkg

PACKAGE_NAME = "my_pkg"
IGNORE_DPKG_STATUS = 1

apt_pkg.init()
cache   = apt_pkg.GetCache()
records = apt_pkg.GetPkgRecords(cache)
package = cache[PACKAGE_NAME]
for pack_vers in package.VersionList:
    for pack_file, index in pack_vers.FileList:
        records.Lookup((pack_file,index))
        # ignore Debian dpkg status file lookups
        if pack_file.IndexType != 'Debian Package Index' and \
                                              IGNORE_DPKG_STATUS == 1:
            continue
        print "ORIGIN:", pack_file.Site
        print "VERSION:", pack_vers.VerStr