Re: Updating scanners and filters in Debian stable (3.1)

On Wednesday 06 October 2004 04:12 pm, Thomas Bushnell BSG wrote:

> For example, a new set of virus definitions, we are told, may include
> a new library and a new strategy for catching viruses.  Makes sense
> to me.  But when you add that, are you just going to add in the
> latest upstream version of the virus-catcher?  In which case, you are
> *also* going to be adding in new substantive features, like say a new
> command-line syntax, or a new interface to the mail system, or other
> things that are not connected to catching a new category of viruses.
>
> It is *those* changes which are not allowed for security updates, and
> should not be allowed for these packages either.

Who wants to install Spamassassin-more-than-2-but-not-quite-3?
Snort-more-than-2.2-but-not-yet-2.3?  This will just confuse your users
and piss off upstream.

Oh, and how many new bugs will you create when you have to backport
large chunks of code to avoid those "dreaded" new features that your
users couldn't possibly want?

Either 1) allow new features when appropriate, 2) speed up the release
cycle, or 3) leave this as a job for the unofficial repositories.

cheers,

	brian