Re: PROPOSAL to sarge+1 - Split main in sub-repositories

On Sat, Aug 21, 2004 at 11:14:36AM +0200, Goswin von Brederlow wrote:
> It would be nice if Packages files would add new packages to the end
> instead of alphabetically and if apt-get could use rsync to download
> the Packages files (but not the debs). All the slow/never changing
> packages would drift to the top and the start of Packages (or
> Packages.gz) would remain the same and improve rsyncability.

rsync is nice and you can rsync gz-files.

(if we make rsyncable gz files. the gzip from unstable know this flag.
We must only use it...

| $ gzip -h
| gzip 1.3.5
| (2002-09-30)
| usage: gzip [-cdfhlLnNrtvV19] [-S suffix] [file ...]
|  -c --stdout      write on standard output, keep original files unchanged
|     --rsyncable   Make rsync-friendly archive

Gruss
Grisu
--
Michael Bramer  -- http://www.feuerwehr.kreuzau.de/wiki/
The only stupid question is the unasked one.