Re: NEVER remove log files without asking

On Mon, Aug 16, 2004 at 08:36:45AM -0500, Steve Greenland wrote:

> I really don't have much sympathy here. A directory named
> "/var/log/foo", created by the "foo" package, is pretty obviously not
> a place to put files you want around permanently.

I agree completely. Leaving cruft around after a purge is a bad idea,
and seems very, very unclean. 'Remove' is a different operation, with a
different implication.

> If enough people disagree with this, then we need to change policy so
> that NO log files are to be removed.

I hope that this does not happen. 'Purge' should mean what it says. If
you have important data that's tied to a package, back it up before you
purge the package!

--
Mason Loring Bliss             ((  "In the drowsy dark cave of the mind dreams
mason@acheron.middleboro.ma.us  ))  build  their nest  with fragments  dropped