Re: conflicting bug reports

On Wed, Aug 18, 2004 at 05:44:37PM +1000, Brian May wrote:
> I have a set of bug reports that say heimdal-dev shouldn't depend on
> libdb4.2-dev. See bugs #253894 and #255562.

> I also have another set of bug reports that says heimdal-dev should
> depend on libdb4.2-dev. Bug #266003 and #196157.

> Obviously, I can't keep anybody happy...

> Currently the depends has been removed. While some of the problems
> have been addressed via other means, the question still remains:
> Should I add it again or keep it as is (remove it)?

In general, reducing the complexity of our package dependency graph is
definitely in our best interests from a standpoint of being able to
release in a timely manner.  This definitely includes fixing devel tools
like pkg-config and libtool to not cause gratuitous linkages against
unused libraries (which is a problem that's being worked on), and where
possible, I believe it also includes not having -dev packages depend on
other -dev packages when not needed (e.g., when only used for static
linking, which is not a common case for Debian's purposes).

However, a recent discussion with the libtool maintainer revealed that a
subtle bug with libtool requires that any .la file used for building
other libraries have all of its .la dependencies also installed on the
system.  This means that any -dev packages that contain .la files
should, for the time being, continue to depend on the -dev packages of
libraries they depend on. :/

--
Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer