Re: Suppressing loading of a kernel module

On Aug 16, Andrew Pollock <apollock@debian.org> wrote:

> I've been meaning to ask, at what point did hotplug start overlapping into
> discover's space?
A few months ago. Actually hotplug was always supposed to behave like
this, but it was broken on debian systems because pciutils lacked the
pcimodules program.

> I too found that #236423, whilst originally I believed to be caused by
> discover, later seemed to be caused by hotplug. (For all I know it may have
> been caused by hotplug all along).
Anyway, #236423 is not a bug in hotplug or discover: it's not their
fault if a driver spews the kernel log with crap after being loaded.
I'm closing it because I remember that it's a duplicate of another bug
opened against a kernel package (a patch was provided, but I do not know
the current status of the bug).

BTW, please remember to ALWAYS Cc reassigned bugs to the appropriate
maintainers, because they are not otherwise notified so I did not notice
this bug before.

> It seems to me that hotplug seems to be much more indiscriminate than
> discover when it comes to loading modules.
It seems to me that our binary kernel packages contain drivers which are
not suitable for general use. They should either not be built by default
or blacklisted by the kernel package.

--
ciao, |
Marco | [7541 pr/9WdNkiFUyg]