Re: Advice with uncooperative maintainers

Andreas Barth <aba@not.so.argh.org> writes:

> * Goswin von Brederlow (brederlo@informatik.uni-tuebingen.de) [040812 06:25]:
>> Greg Folkert <greg@gregfolkert.net> writes:

>> > I don't think he is insinuating that. I do believe that JM is referring
>> > the levity of doing an NMU, is much more grave when an ftp-master is the
>> > one that you are NMU'ing  is one o'is packages. Best make sure all the
>> > "eyes" dotted, "tees" crossed and follow the proscribed route.
>
>> I think he ment more that uploading a fork of a package of an
>> ftp-master could have trouble getting through queue/NEW. Reason for
>> denial: duplicate.
>
> I hope that ftp-master will reject in any case. There is no need to
> duplicate packages in debian. If one package is broken, then fix it.

What is broken? Last I checked not following the latest upstream
version wasn't broken. If a maintainer does not do this and there is
disagreement about if it should be done (which fits this case)
uploading a second package following upstream more closely is a viable
option I think. Look at the packages with a foobar and foobar-cvs
flavour for example.

Sometimes duplicate packages are justified.

> BTW, neither a NMUer nor d-devel could force the maintainer of any
> package to take (or accept) a certain action. Only the technical
> comitee can do that, so if you disagree with the maintainer (and if a
> maintainer rolls back a NMU, this is definitly disagreement), you
> could forward this issue to the TC.
>
> Cheers,
> Andi

MfG