Re: Sarge, kernel-image, and i586-SMP

Steaphan Greene wrote:
Is there an easy way to automate, or semi-automate, this recompile?

As far as I know, every time a new kernel source is released, I must
re-run "make menuconfig", build the kernel etc....  I'd just rather have
a solution where I can set it up and then forget it.  This is just a
router, fileserver and firewall - it doesn't do anyhing else, so I don't
really want to have to mess with it much - but it is required that it be
as secure as reasonably possible.

Sure:
cd new-kernel; cp ../old-kernel/.config .; make-kpkg kernel_image

Kernel config files are upward compatible to new patch versions. 2.6 has an 'oldconfig' target to convert 2.4 config files.

Philip Miller