Re: Jabberd2 packaging question

On Sat, Jul 17, 2004 at 11:28:47PM +0100, Andrew Suffield wrote:
> On Sat, Jul 17, 2004 at 02:04:36PM -0600, Jamin W. Collins wrote:
> > The previous package of jabberd2-bdb (2.0s2-1) required libdb4.1.
> > The upcoming package will use libdb4.2.  Between these two versions
> > the log file format has changed (db format has remained the same).
> > This change appears to require that the db4.1_recovery utility from
> > db4.1-util be run against the existing database prior to starting
> > the new version of jabberd2-bdb which uses the newever libdb4.2.
>
> This should not be the case. If it is, something is broken (and it's
> probably jabberd). Can't guess what without debugging the thing.

I'm not quite following the above.  The previous version of Jabberd2
starts and stops fine with no problem accessing the DB that was created
by that version (using libdb4.1).  Likewise the new version has no
problem accessing a DB that it created (using libdb4.2).  The problem
occurs during a normal upgrade.  The old package version is stopped and
removed and the new package errors when attempting to open the DB
created with the previous version of Berkeley DB.

Should Jabberd2 be detecting and dealing with the DB change
programatically? Or, do you think that it's not properly
closing/cleaning the DB when it shuts down.

I apologize for my ignorance in the matter, I'm just trying to get a
general idea of what could possibly be missing or incorrect with what
Jabberd2 is doing so I have an idea of what I'm looking for.

--
Jamin W. Collins