Re: unexpected NMUs || buildd queue

On Fri, Jul 16, 2004 at 09:42:00AM +0200, Goswin von Brederlow wrote:
> Andreas Metzler <ametzler@downhill.at.eu.org> writes:
> > BTW sometimes packages get stuck in the buildd queue, e.g. the initial
> > build failed because of a transient error but the buildd maintainer
> > does not process the buildd log for a long time (for reasons unknown)
> > and reschedule the build. If this happens contacting the buildd admins
> > helps. (Don't sk me what "a long time" is, it depends on how big the
> > buildd's backlog is and whether the update i urgent.)
> >         cu andreas
>
> Most likely reason I can think of is when buildd logs are too big and
> get not delivered by the mail system. Some packages have buildd logs
> exceeding 30MB and some peoples mailserver might not accept them.

If a package log exceeds 30MB, I'd say the chances of it being a
transient error are pretty slim.

What's more likely is one of
* The buildd maintainer decided to investigate further on the buildd box
  itself, but forgot or didn't finish that investigation
* The buildd box went down somewhile during the build, and the build was
  aborted or something due to that, resulting in "lost" packages
* something freaky (something I didn't think of) happened to the buildd ;-)

> A reasonable measure of long might be
>
> max(the time the last build needed * 2 + 2 days, 1 week)
>
> Time being measured since the last state change in the wanna-build
> database.

Sounds about right, I'd say.

--
         EARTH