Re: "Fastest Linux of the world", hardware detection, X11 config

Daniel Burrows wrote:
>   Debian has a tendency, as a project, to want to assemble a huge
> collection of programs that can be shoveled onto the user's hard drive.
> We don't generally do a lot of cross-package integration beyond making
> sure that packages are basically functional when you install them.

I must disagree. menu, info files registration, document registration
via various tools, emacs script integration, ifupdown scripts that
extend the capabilities of /etc/network/interfaces, ppp hooks, logcheck
ignore files, sgml/xml catalog registration, mime, all these go above
and beyond making a package basically functional and contribute to
debian being a well integrated system.

>   So, for instance, I can count 5 tools off the top of my head in Debian
> that perform some sort of hardware detection (including the kernel
> itself!), and there are probably more.  One of them is the hardware
> detection software that Red Hat itself uses!  However, the install procedure
> doesn't know about them; they aren't used to configure X

X config doesn't use _all_ of them. It does use discover, read-edid, and
mdetect. As to the install procedure:

>   Debian won't have decent support for adapting to the user's hardware
> until we see a more collaborative spirit in the Project...and at present
> things seem to be tending in rather the other direction, at least on
> this list.

Maybe you're unaware that the debian-installer project has created an
installer for Debian that does full hardware detection (except X). FWIW,
we use discover for hardware detection, along with hotplug on the
installed system. There's a vast amount of integration and collaboration
going on over on debian-boot and we'd not be able to do a lot of it
without the cooperation of numerous developers in the project at large.
For example:

> the package managers
> don't know that spicctrl might be useful for my laptop

http://lists.debian.org/debian-boot/2004/07/msg00963.html

We'd be glad of someone helping with the idea we reached in that thread.

>   [0] by which I mean that if you have two drives, it'll only look for
>       audio CDs in the first one.

Maybe you should file a bug report?

--
see shy jo