Hi,

I would like to second this proposal, but I have to raise 2 objections:

1. Sarge is simply overdue and has to be released as soon as possible.

2. the amd64 port is ready for sid, but not for sarge. We have still
some bugs to solve, most of them 64bit-support related or caused by
gcc-3.3[1].

This leads me to the following proposal (as discussed on IRC):

1. add amd64 to sid
2. release sarge without amd64 support
3. in a sarge point release in 2-3 months add amd64

We have to release a stable amd64 port as soon as possible to be run
on production systems, either by delaying sarge, or by adding it
later on. Debian is the only big GNU/Linux distribution not supporting
amd64.

We cannot wait for sarge+1 with this, considering our release frequency
wich will for sure not increase, facing full compliance with the social
contract changes being one primary goal for the next release.

And finally, we need to be an officially supported architecture for some
reluctant maintainers to fix their bugs at all.

Greetings
Frederik Schueler

[1] mozilla, mozilla-tbird and firefox for example do just segfault if
compiled with gcc-3.3, while they work if compiled with gcc-3.4.
Xprt-xprintorg and Gnustep are broken too, and a couple of packages
cause ICEs.

--
ENOSIG