Re: report-po, forward outdated po file to the last translators

On Thu, Jul 01, 2004 at 07:33:19PM +0300, Recai Oktas wrote:
> > Last-Translator field (for example, I get a file from a translator, fix a
> > couple of typos and commit it - KBabel will automatically make me the last
> > translator)?!
> Then, isn't this a good reason to be more careful on the po headers
> including the 'Last-Translator' field and avoid automatic header updates
> (except 'PO-Revision-Date')?  I often see a lot of crap in po headers
> and it seems no one is uncomfortable with this situation.

My general opinion is that po-files could get much better, if they would
only be edited by a programm. In my environment (Russian) I have to make
my translators use something like KBabel, as otherwise we'll have an
encoding hell. KBabel is not ideal, but it's the best we can get now. Yes,
surely, there is a lot of mess, especially in the Plural-Forms field,
which get broken into lines by msgmerge and the first line gets then
replaced by a complete line by KBabel. It's not fun, but I should have
filed a bug long time ago ;)

> BTW, There is another important field which should be taken into account
> for the update notifications: 'Language-Team'; of course, it all depends
> on a neatly maintained po header ;-)

Language-Team should be used. Last-Translator is not really helpful,
especially, if he's MIA for really old translations.

BTW, it would be nice to have a mailing list for every language Debian
gets translated to (should be part of the l10n-framework)

--
Nikolai Prokoschenko
nikolai@prokoschenko.de / Jabber: pronik@jabber.org