Re: Freeswan in Debian, or: Why I am such a bad maintainer

On Tue, 29 Jun 2004 09:27:21 +0100 (BST), "Daniel Pocock"
<daniel@pocock.com.au> wrote:
>Here is a very simple example:
>- the method works with manual keying or any IKE daemon
>- any packets from IPsec peers will be fully trusted and not be screened
>further by netfilter
>
>Step 1: Identify packets in mangle table
>
>iptables --table mangle -A PREROUTING -p esp -j MARK --set-mark 1
>
>Step 2: Allow packets in filter table
>
>iptables --table filter --insert INPUT --match mark --mark 1 -j ACCEPT

It is much more complicated than doing

iptables --table filter --insert INPUT --in-int ipsec0 -j ACCEPT,

and I think it sucks. Oh, btw, please make sure that no packet with
source address from 192.168.130.0/24 goes out on the tunnel while not
affecting any other processing of these packets, the equivalent of

iptables --table filter --insert OUTPUT --out-int ipsec0 --dst
192.168.130.0/24 -j ACCEPT

I think you have just very effectively proven that packet filtering is
_MUCH_ easier if you have a virtual interface.

Greetings
Marc, who has gotten rid of freeswan this morning