Re: Haskell libraries?

On Thu, Jun 17, 2004 at 09:16:34AM -0500, John Goerzen wrote:
> Hello,

Hi,

> Is there any active Haskell maintainers' group in Debian?

You've prompted me to getting around to getting a mailing list created
:-)

You should be able to subscribe at:

> I'm asking because Debian ships almost no Haskell libraries at all,
> and I'd like to see some here.  For instance, wxHashell and hsregex.

Agreed!

There are a few bits and pieces in the Haskell Experimental repository:

http://www.syntaxpolice.org/haskell-experimental/haskell-experimental.html

This does include some wxhaskell packages, but I don't think I got as
far as making the deps right. Also, I think the library ought to be
split into an OpenGL and non-OpenGL portion so you don't need to link
with the OpenGL libs when you aren't using them. I think Daan disagreed
with me, though. If you'd like to tidy it up and upload to Debian please
do!

OTTOMH I don't think there's anything currently in HE that the author
would mind someone else uploading to Debian, but it would be polite to
try to make contact anyway to check.

> Are there documents anywhere on how to package Haskell libraries so they
> work with as many of the Haskell compilers/interpreters as possible?

Not yet, just the examples we already have; hat is the one that comes to
mind. The current situation is intended to be just to tide us over until
http://www.haskell.org/cabal/ comes into existence though. Isaac Jones,
a DD and the hugs maintainer, is leading the effort, so it should be
well-suited to Debianising libraries!

Thanks
Ian