Re: How long is it acceptable to leave *undistributable* files in the kernel package?

@ 17/06/2004 00:43 : wrote Raul Miller :

>>>However, this sentence makes clear that "works based on the Program"
>>>is meant to include both derivative works based on the Program and
>>>collective works based on the Program.
>

>On Wed, Jun 16, 2004 at 11:12:37PM -0400, Michael Poole wrote:
>
>>    In addition, mere aggregation of another work not based on the
>>    Program with the Program (or with a work based on the Program) on
>>    a volume of a storage or distribution medium does not bring the
>>    other work under the scope of this License.
>>
>>This sentence deals just as much with collective works, and makes
>>clear that "mere aggregation" is not sufficient to invoke GPL coverage
>>of the other work(s).  What is your point?
>

>My point is that any sentence talking about "a work based on the
>Program" is by default talking about both derivative and collective
>works.

No way. The clause #0 of the GPL is crystal clear: << a "work based on
the Program" means either the Program or any derivative work under
copyright law >> DERIVATIVE. Under copyright law.

_Not_ collective/compilation/anthology.

>>>So what is this "deception" you're talking about?
>>
>>The deception is calling it "great lengths."  When I said the GPL
>>"deals with collective works in just two paragraphs" you focused on
>>the one where they are mentioned by name and entirely ignored the
>>other (because you don't like what it says?).
>

>You seem to be ignoring everything the GPL says about "works based on
>the Program".

"Works based on the Program" are only the _derivative_ works.

--
br,M