Re: Python modules for every supported version

On Wed, Jun 16, 2004 at 02:27:23PM -0700, Matt Zimmerman wrote:
> I still do not see why supporting N versions of Python should require N+1
> binary packages (or even N).  Why can't they be byte-compiled after
> installation for all available versions of Python?

Modules with extensions in C have to be compiled with the specific
pythonX.Y-dev environment. So the user should install python2.x and
python2.x-dev (with also the module-specific build environment)
in order to install an additional module, and IMHO it is not a good
approch to resolve the problem (Build-Depends != Depends).

Another question is: why in sarge there are three versions of python
with related modules (2.1, 2.2, 2.3)? We often say "there are too many
packages, don't package foo because doesn't worth...", so why don't try
to drop python2.1? The common opinion on debian-python is that different
versions are required because some packages depends on it, and it is
true during transition between major versions of python... I've just
posted on that mailing list a  report with testing packages which
depends on every version of python. IMHO python2.1 based packages
maintainer should try to migrate to python2.3.

A good thread about these problems is being discussed on debian-python,
so if someone is interested switch to that list. :)

Thanks,
Fabio.

--

Fabio Tranchitella

<!> kobold.it, Turin, Italy  - Free is better!

 <http://www.kobold.it>, <kobold@kobold.it>, <kobold@jabber.linux.it>
GPG Key fingerprint: 5465 6E69 E559 6466 BF3D  9F01 2BF8 EE2B 7F96 1564