Re: [SE/Linux] status / progress report 13jun2004

On Mon, 14 Jun 2004 03:01, Christoph Hellwig <hch@lst.de> wrote:
> On Sun, Jun 13, 2004 at 03:36:48PM +0000, Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton
wrote:
> > * debian kernels need to be available compiled with se/linux security
> >   enabled (and boot-time optional) by default.  this results in a
> >   2% performance hit (wow big deal) when se/linux is not enabled
> >   at boot time.  Gentoo, SuSE and Fedora all accept this 2%.
>
> It's actually disabled again (compiled in but disabled) in SuSE because
> the performance hit was much much worse.  And I remember benchmark
> numbers where the lsm hooks alone decreased the SpecWeb numbers on ia64
> by more than 10%.  I'd vote strongy against enabling LSM in the Debian
> kernel images.

In other distributions more features are enabled by default to reduce the
support costs (people will install the wrong kernel package and file bug
reports).  In Debian choices are offered for everything, there are several
mail servers, several POP servers, having several builds for the kernel is
not a big deal.

Currently there has not been a large demand for SMP SE Linux kernels.  So
adding a new kernel binary package that's the same as the default one for the
most common CPU but with SE Linux enabled should be easy enough to do.

1-386 1-586tsc 1-686 1-686-smp 1-k6 1-k7 1-k7-smp speakup alpha amiga arm
atari bvme6000 hppa i386 ia64 mac mvme147 mvme16x q40 s390

From a quick grep of the packages list the above seems to be the list of
supported Debian kernel binary packages.  Adding a 686-selinux package and
compelling anyone who wants SE Linux on anything other than a 686 single-CPU
machine to compile their own kernel should make most people reasonably happy.
Athlon's generally run i686 code well.

The architectures listed are for 2.4.x kernels - not all architectures support
2.6.x yet.  I suggest that Debian not provide any binaries to support 2.4.x
SE Linux kernels, it's just too much work to keep them maintained.  I have
been thinking of requesting that my package kernel-patch-2.4-lsm be removed
from Debian as it usually takes more than a month for me to catch up with a
new kernel.org release.

I don't have the time to build such kernel binaries though, so someone else
will have to volunteer.