Re: Pre-Depends of #CDD#-common meta packages from cdd-common

On Sun, Jun 13, 2004 at 01:49:38PM +0200, David Weinehall wrote:
> On Sun, Jun 13, 2004 at 12:39:11PM +0100, Colin Watson wrote:
> > I guess in debian/postinst you can probably get away without worrying
> > about this, but I generally prefer portable shell wherever possible, by
> > way of good practice if nothing else. Of course, base-passwd.postinst
> > has special requirements because it's part of an Essential package, so
> > keeping dependencies to an absolute minimum is more valuable there.
>
> Wouldn't it be a good thing to move which from debianutils to
> /bin/which.

Like I say, I believe it should be for interactive use only, so I don't
really care that it's in /usr. Call me a purist if you like ...

The searchpath() example I gave is a simple cut-and-paste shell
function, and actually makes code neater - no messy redirections needed.

> debianutils is essential/required/base, so it should meet
> various availability-requirements and minimum-dependency requirements.

I would still prefer not to rely on it from other Essential packages.
The consequences of adding extra dependency edges there can be
surprising at times, and it is always a win to keep Essential as
reliable as possible. (Also, some older versions of debianutils managed
'which' using alternatives ...)

Cheers,