Re: libpkg-guide updated (versioned symbols), please proofread

* Junichi Uekawa (dancer@netfort.gr.jp) wrote:
> I've updated libpkg-guide to add an example (howto) on
> making versioned symbols for shread library.

Hopefully 'shared' libraries.

> I would like some feedback, if this works, if it's unclear, if it's
> misleading.

The 'migration strategy' is misleading.  A library can be recompiled to
have versioned symbols and older binaries will work just fine with it to
the same extent that they work today with libraries that don't have
versioned symbols.  Yes, that means that they may segfault just as they
may today.  A problem where the binary segfaults can be used as
justification to increase the severity on the bug report associated with
the segfault and requested rebuild against newer versions of hte
library.  Once all libraries a binary depends on have versioned symbols
a bug report should be filed against it to have it be rebuilt, perhaps
with normal or important level while segfaults would be higher.

It doesn't seem useful to change the name of the library though.

	Stephen