libfreetype6 and FT_Seek_Stream / FT_Stream_Seek

libfreetype6 2.0.9-1 provides FT_Seek_Stream
libfreetype6 2.1.7-2 does not provide FT_Seek_Stream
These two versions of the library are clearly not binary compatible.
Why didn't the solib version number increase? Why don't we have
separate packages for the incompatible binary interfaces?

libfreetype6 2.1.7-2 does however provide FT_Stream_Seek. Does anyone
more familiar with libfreetype know if these two functions are binary
compatible, outside of their name change?

This issue's been causing me problems for months. Thanks in advance
for finally putting my tumbled mind to rest.
Shaun