chroot() and configuration files for hylafax

Hi all,
I am facing a very old bug report[1] about the problem of reading the
configuration files in the hylafax server. It seems to me that the
server is trying to read the files while in the chroot environment and
hence it cannot find the files that are stored elsewhere.

In Debian the configuration files are in /etc/hylafax while the chroot
environment is in /var/spool/hylafax.

Actually there is a link from /var/spool/hylafax/etc to /etc/hylafax but
this of course isn't reachable from the chroot()ed processes.

Swapping the directories, i.e. makeing the real dir in
/var/spool/hylafax/etc and having a link to it from /etc/hylafax makes
hylafax happy but this is forbidden by the Debian policy.

Many proposed the solution to copy /etc/hylafax to the chroot directory
when starting hylafax, but this isn't a complete solution since the
hylafax server will also *write* to these files.

One solution would be to mount /etc/hylafax with "bind", but I never saw
such solution in a debian package.

Another one is to copy from /etc&hylfax to the chroot when starting the
server and the other way around after stopping it. I think that this
solution will create a lot of synchronization problems.

While starting this thread on debian-devel, I am investigating about
exactly *why/when* are configuration files changed.

So, the final question: do you have any suggestion?

Thanks for your help,
Giuseppe