Re: Request for help with CinePaint & Libtool RC bug (#244150)

On Sun, May 09, 2004 at 11:06:05AM -0500, Steve Langasek wrote:
> I've just done the 'libtoolize -f -c; aclocal; automake; autoconf'
> dance on cinepaint, and it updated reasonably cleanly and is currently
> building here (not on arm, but using a recent enough libtool that
> should work on arm) with no signs of distress.

If your source has this bug, it'll only manifest itself on ARM during
the ./configure stage where you'll see

	"checking how to recognise dependent libraries... file_magic ELF
	[0-9][0-9]*-bit [LM]SB (shared object|dynamic lib )"

instead of

	checking how to recognise dependent libraries... pass_all

It'd save us a hell of a lot of pain if we could test this without
access to an ARM machine. I personally haven't heard of a solution; I
guess parsing all the automake macros without an ARM version of libtool
is too painful.

> What's the recommended means of creating a new patch for the
> debian/patches directory, using cdbs?  (And why do patch system
> creators never feel the need for this to be self-documenting? :P)

% diff -ruN foobar-1.0.orig foobar-1.0 > 00_autoconf.patch

Cheers,
Andrew "Netsnipe" Lau

	Andrew "Netsnipe" Lau	<http://www.cse.unsw.edu.au/~alau/>
 Debian GNU/Linux Maintainer & UNSW Computing Students' Society President
				     -
		  "Nobody expects the Debian Inquisition!
     Our two weapons are fear and surprise...and ruthless efficiency!"