Stephen Frost wrote:
<snip>
> That's what I'm contending.  For compressed PCF or truetype fonts I'd be
> more inclined to say that's the 'preferred form for modification'.  I'm
> less inclined to say the same about firmware and a hex editor though not
> entirely opposed to it either.  Especially if the firmware is just
> assembled assembly for a specific processor that could be disassembled.
> I'm not very familiar with firmware though, is virtually all firmware
> compiled C code or is alot of it assembly or what?

It's very specific to the hardware.  Remember that firmware is just software
for a chipset on a peripheral; depending on the chipset and the
programmers, it varies a lot.  A fair amount is assembly; for some
examples, see the assembly present for the firmware which *has* source in
the kernel (most of it requires the 'as31' assembler).

Some of it looks for all the world like ELF or COFF binaries.  Other parts
look quite different.