Re: Menu files in /usr/lib/menu violate FHS

* Bill Allombert <allomber@math.u-bordeaux.fr> [2002-12-17 20:28]:
> I plan to upload a new menu package that support menu files in both
> /usr/share/menu and /usr/lib/menu as a transitionnal measure.

 I was wondering why this hasn't happend yet....

 And I discussed with a fellow developer and he raised some interesting
concerns wrt/ that:

 Putting the menu files into /usr/share would make files in /usr/share
depend on stuff in architecture directories. The purpose of /usr/share
is that it is shareable amongst different machines. If you use such a
setup an update-menus on a machine that doesn't have the package
installed would create a menu entry that simply doesn't work.

 I am not sure if this is wanted, so at least I take back my request to
put menu files into /usr/share/menu (on the other hand, it might make
sense for Architecture: all packages).

 I guess this should be discussed more widely, on debian-devel. I'm
Ccing it now. Please discuss there, and Cc me on replies.

 Just a thought,
Alfie
--
16:46 <Molle> sorry fuer die andauernden rejoins
16:46 -!- Molle [~molle@p3EE21B49.dip.t-dialin.net] has quit [leaving]