Re: Configuration by using local packages

Quoting Goswin von Brederlow <brederlo@informatik.uni-tuebingen.de>:
> "W. Borgert" <debacle@debian.org> writes:
> > I'm not sure: If a config file is in package nis, it cannot
> > be in package nis-local, too without having the a conflict,
> > right?
>
> No. nis-local would have e.g. /usr/share/nis-local/myconfig and copy
> that in its postinst, or so I understood the beginning of the thread.

Yes, that was my original intention.  I mis-understood your
proposal to have the same config files in both packages.

> > That's why I asked about more "intelligent" way of config
> > file handling, like cfengine in postinst.  Nobody tried
> > this?
..
> Package nis-local with configs in /etc/nis-local/. In the postinst
> file you dpkg-divert the nis packages to wraper scripts that start the
> real nis programms but with extra options so they use the configs in
> /etc/nis-local/ instead of their usual place.

nis is just an example.  Other config files, like /etc/nsswitch.conf,
are also to be changed.  In this case I would have to fork libc, I
believe.  I don't like to do that.

> Not sure if you can do that with nis but with samba or apache that
> should be possible. You would even have policy compliant debs.

So I have compliant debs and not so compliant software.  Man
pages, books etc. tell about having a config file /etc/xyz,
but my local versions are completely different.  That's not
so nice (IMHO).

Cheers, WB