Re: bug #10643 is archived and still open

On Sat, Apr 24, 2004 at 10:04:01PM +0100, Colin Watson wrote:
>On Sat, Apr 24, 2004 at 03:56:04PM +1000, Anibal Monsalve Salazar wrote:
>>>
>>>How can an opened bug be archived?
>>
>>Colin Watson said the closing message was lost when the bug report was
>>restored from a backup.
>>
>>It isn't just a bug in that situation. There are 68 bugs archived
>>without being closed. See [0] or [1].

Sorry, I didn't mention [1] points to [0].

>Yes. The situation I'm referring to is that, once upon a time, we didn't
>archive bugs when they expired; we just deleted them. Somewhere in the
>#30000-odd range, I think, the BTS administrators of the time introduced
>archiving. However, all bugs that expired before that time were lost.
>
>At some point, a couple of people showed up with mirrors of the bug
>tracking system web pages, and Joey Hess (possibly others?) worked to
>recover old bug data from that. Obviously, old bugs like these are all
>considered as archived. However, there were a number of cases where the
>mirror was taken before the closing message arrived, and in those cases
>the data importer left the bugs open.
>
>There isn't an awful lot we can do about this, beyond marking them all
>unilaterally as done (which is honest in one way, but dishonest in
>another - after all, we don't know why they were closed). Fortunately,
>it isn't very important.

Maybe you could unarchive them, as you did with bug #10643, and hopefully
they will be closed by their respective maintainers.

[0] http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/pkgreport.cgi?which=maint&data=&archive=yes&raw=yes&bug-rev=yes&pend-exc=fixed&pend-exc=done
>>[1] http://tinyurl.com/2ryrc
>
>I don't think there's any need to use shortened URLs on this mailing
>list, but when doing so I'd consider it polite to say where they
>redirect to.

In future, I'll mention where the shortened URLs point to.

>Cheers,
>
>--
>Colin Watson                                  [cjwatson@flatline.org.uk]

Anibal Monsalve Salazar
--
 .''`.  Debian GNU/Linux      | Building 28C
: :' :  Free Operating System | Monash University VIC 3800, Australia