compile kernel with specific architecture support

I am trying to compile a kernel with optimized support for a particular
machine architecture.
In my case a pentium4 system.

Pentium 4 (Intel)
CHOST="i686-pc-linux-gnu"
CFLAGS="-march=pentium4 -O3 -pipe -fomit-frame-pointer"
CXXFLAGS="-march=pentium4 -O3 -pipe -fomit-frame-pointer"

I have a list of safe GCC switches from this location.
http://www.reviewedinfo.org/howtos/compiling/safe-cflags/

I am unable to determine the debian way to define these switches for
make-kpkg
What is the correct method to use for this?
edit debian/rules?
dpkg-architecture?
edit Makefile?

I researched this a lot to no avail.
and yes I know how to compile a kernel, and use make-kpkg.
Thank you.

--
--Luke CS Sysadmin, Montana State University-Bozeman