Re: testing and no release schedule

On Sat, Mar 27, 2004 at 08:00:10AM -0600, Stephen R Marenka wrote:

> > If "someone up there" decide to use d-i as a prerequisite for release, that
> > one should have had an idea how to do that without depending on other
> > people. I'm quite sure that a m68k box could be sent to a d-i developer.
> > Granted, this might be more problematic with s390 boxes to be sent across
> > the country... ;))
> Great, send me an amiga, because I sure can't motivate anybody to test
> d-i on it (except Christian once).

Oh, I offered my two A2000s for about two years on m68k-build for some sort
of this. Now I currently need both of it. One for setting up shaihulud and
the other for testing purposes like d-i. Once shaihulud boots and runs, I
could at least send you some leftover hardware such as accelerator boards.

Note that I spoke above about m68k boxes in general, not about particular
boxes. There were some mac offers last year on debian-68k.

Note as well, that I made a proposal to hardware-donations to list
wanted/needed hardware last year to work around those problems. I'm quite
sure when someone would read there that you need an Amiga, it would be much
easier to get such hardware near to you. Nothing happened so far to the
donations webpage, also there should have been some progress mid of last
year.

It's not so good to request hardware when you urgently need it. There needs
to be some overview in the long run what would/could be needed the next
months. You can consider this problem as an administrative problem which can
be solved by a mixture of communications, such as involving people that have
contact to users, donation managers, DDs and others.
When d-i needs some hardware to test or make progress in early porting
stages, d-i people need to communicate with others in advance. Then a
request for hardware could be listed on the donations page, people can look
around if someone has hardware to spend and such.
Realizing on Monday that you'll hardware xyz on Tuesday will just not work.
Depending on users to do more testing on development versions that exceeds
"please run this and reports if it works or not" won't work either. Ask
Christian for his experiences in that region with his kernel images. ;)

--
Ciao...              //
      Ingo         \X/