Re: testing and no release schedule

Hi Adrian, hi everybody!

On 2004-03-26  1:42 +0100, Adrian Bunk wrote:
> I'm not claiming that my suggestion of a weak freeze of unstable is the
> only way to get closer towards Debian 3.1, but I'm a bit astonished that
> although it was announced that "shortly after 15th March" there will be
> an update of the release schedule, none of the release managers and his
> assistants had the time to either send an updated release schedule or to
> give an "yes" or a "no, we have a better plan" answer to my suggestion.

I was a bit disappointed by that too. Announcing and enforcing freezes
over different stages (no new packages to testing, no new major
upstream versions, manual propagation to testing etc.) is overdue and
I don't see a reason why this cannot be done at this (or any other)
moment, if there is one, I would appreciate enlightenment.

A few days ago I was waiting for the testing RC bug counter dropping
below 200, and now its is already back to 245. We won't get anywhere
when we keep the current state of changing.

> What is the alternative?
> [...]
> Trying to find some other people and infrastructure to create a new
> distribution with stable releases based on Debian.

I also thought about this once: if we are not able to make releases in
a reasonable time (i.e. <= 1 year) then we should not aim for it in
the first place and have other groups screw together Debian-based
stable distros. But this would make at least me unhappy; why we have
Release Managers when we don't hear anything from them? I do not say
that they are inactive, but they should be a bit more verbose and
actually enforce things more rigidly. Anthony, can you please tell us
about your current plans? Thanks in advance!

Currently I cannot really recommend people to use Debian because very
few of them want to limit theirself to the alternatives "stick with
outdated software" or "constantly change your system without security
updates". This is really a pity.

I know that the installer is not yet finished anyway, but looking at
its current progress it certainly might be ready in three to six
months and AFAICS we need (at least) this time to get testing into
releasable shape.

Thanks for comments and have a nice day!

Martin
--
Martin Pitt                 Debian GNU/Linux Developer
martin@piware.de                      mpitt@debian.org