dpkg-scanpackages and pools - (how) does it work?

Hi,

if I have a pool of own packages (i.e. one directory with
different versions of the same package), how do I create the
correct Packages.gz?  dpkg-scanpackages uses the latest
version of each package and warn about the duplication.  I
did not find a switch to tell it which version of a package
goes into which distribution (e.g. stable/testing/unstable).

- Is dpkg-scanpackages more capable than I found out?

- Is it the right tool?

- If not, which one is?

Many thanks in advance for any helpful comment or script!

Cheers,
--
W. Borgert <debacle@debian.org>, http://people.debian.org/~debacle/