Re: Configuration (File) System

On Thu, 2004-03-18 at 09:40, Jean Pierre LeJacq wrote:
> On Thu, 18 Mar 2004, Oliver Kurth wrote:
>
> > On Thu, 2004-03-18 at 01:48, Jens Hermans wrote:
> > > Currently I'm working on a technology to be able to represent
> > > configuration files as filesystems. The whole thing is outlined at
> > > http://users.pandora.be/paranet/CFS.htm , but I'll try to sumarize it
> >
> > I have a very similar idea, see
> > http://advogato.org/person/oku/diary.html?start=4
>
> Have you considered the possibility XCAP or ACAP both of which are
> IETF draft standards.  They seem very close to what you are looking
> for.  A summary is available at:
>
>   http://xml.coverpages.org/ni2003-05-29-a.html

Well, Jens explains on his page why he does not want to use xml. I do
not want either, though it would be possible to add an xml interface,
for both input and output - once there is a tree, you can make xml out
of it easily.

> Along the same lines, wouldn't ldap be a more generic solution than
> a new file system?

Same arguments would apply to ldap as for xml.

At least my goal (cannot speak for Jens), was to have it _simple_, with
as low overhead as possible, because I am also thinking about embedded
systems. Something that can be used by package scripts, without them
having too many dependencies.

Greetings,
Oliver