Changes in Debian base install

Hello,

the trend seems to be that the regular linux install doesn't really require some packages as much as it used to. Mainly I'm referring to the nfs-packages and portmap as well as the development tools.

Security-wise, I think it's kind of silly portmapper is still on by default. People don't even need it most of the time! Is there any pressing reasons why at least nfs-kernel-server and nfs-common and preferrably portmap couldn't be optional, and not in the standard base install?

And is there some pressing reasons why we couldn't unbundle gcc and other development tools from the standard base install?

--
TONI HEINONEN
     TELEWARE OY