What the hell is happening to Debian ? (and FLOSS in general)

Hi Fellows,

After reading debian-devel this morning, I'm now wondering: what the
hell is happening to this Project, what the hell is happening to FLOSS
in general?

Let's start with Debian. For weeks now, a huge flamewar about how
autobuilders are handled has been raging. That's just another flamewar
on debian-devel, nothing unusual.

However; people like Ingo Juergensmann and Goswin von Brederlow are
trying to help out with m68k buildds (and mips too, IIRC), and we're
really just being rude to them without a reason.

I am not bashing anyone here, be it James Troup or Rick Murray. Both
are doing a really great job, even if there are some communication
problems from time to time. Anyway, I don't want to discuss that here,
it's been discussed at length already, so *please* let's not start it
again.

Now, on to the dpkg NMU non-story. What the f*ck ? dpkg is just
another package, even if it's our package manager. If it has RC bugs
that aren't being fixed by the maintainers, then it can be NMUed just
like another package. And should it break, it'd be fixed in another
upload. No reason to be pissed about that, really; moreover, the NMU
was uploaded by a well-known DD.

People, please, wake up. I more and more get the feeling that people
are starting to work one against the other, and that's not how things
should work in Debian. May I remind you our Constitution, the one we
all abide by:

    "Nothing in this constitution imposes an obligation on anyone to
     do work for the Project. A person who does not want to do a task
     which has been delegated or assigned to them does not need to do
     it. However, they must not actively work against these rules and
     decisions properly made under them."

Now, about FLOSS in general. Yet another license issue, this time with
Mozilla/Firebird/Phoenix/Firefox/whatever name it's using at the time
of writing. Same with Apache, XFree86, and probably others I forgot
about or didn't even hear of yet.

Why is every damn project out of there designing its own damn license?
Don't we have enough Free Software or OpenSource licenses already ? Do
we really need to complicate things up to the level of proprietary
licenses?

If there's a need for a new license or a new set of licenses, wouldn't
it be better to share our ressources to design it, rather than
producing a new license per project? At this rate, we're going to need
a full-time staff of lawyers to populate debian-legal soon...

I'm getting sick of these unnecessary license issues, and I have the
feeling that it'll only get worse as time passes by... I'd like to be
proven wrong on this one, however.

We're doing *Free Software* ! (Or OpenSource, but the idea is the same
for what it's worth in this post.)

Let's work together,

JB.

- --